When stuck in the thick of the baby changing years, the topic of which baby wipe to use can seem rather important. Get it wrong, and you could be seeing rashes on your baby, spending more than you need to, and damaging the environment. Get it right, and you can rest comfortably knowing you have done your homework and are making the right decision on all counts.
When we were in the design phase for Joonya wipes, we drew up a list of key factors to consider – so we thought we’d share it with our community!
Here they are:
1) What preservative(s) is used? Is it effective in keeping mould and contamination away for the duration of the shelf life, while being non-toxic for my baby?
2) Are there any other nasty ingredients included that could be giving my baby rash?
3) What score does each ingredient receive on the EWG Skin Deep cosmetic ingredient safety database at www.ewg.org/skindeep?
4) Do I prefer added scent or no added scent?
5) Is the fabric biodegradable?
6) Is the fabric embossed or smooth, is it soft, and does it have the right amount of moisture?
7) Do the wipes consistently dispense as single sheets, or do they come out in clumps of 2 or 3?
8) What is the price I am paying per wipe? With different quantities seen in different brands, comparing the price on a per wipe basis makes sense.
9) Do I have the option of delivery direct to my doorstep?
10) Does the packaging appeal to my sense of style?
Often a brand is selected before a new baby is born, while parents have the time and energy to research what is best for the impending arrival. Other parents use trial and error to arrive at their favourite wipe.